Roman Buch-Podlodów Type Spatha with Scabbard, 3rd Century A.D., Decoration Sword
This Roman spatha is a reconstruction based on several original 3rd c. examples found near Podlodów (now Poland), in the archaeological region of the Przeworsk culture. A few more blades of the Podlodów type were also found along or near the Limes, the border of the Roman Empire. It is assumed that most of these spathae originated from Roman smithies and had eventually found their way beyond the Empire's boundaries to the Barbaricum.
Although the blade length was not much different from its earlier counterparts, this particular spatha variant featured a broader blade with typically two to four fullers and is believed to have been designed as an effective cutting sword for close-quarters fighting.
The broad, double-fullered and double-edged blade of the Roman longsword we offer here is forged out of EN45 spring steel. The edges are not sharpened and the blade's full tang is screwed to the pommel. The hilt with flattened, oval-shaped guard and pommel and octagonal grip is made of wood with brass inlays.
This Roman one-handed sword comes complete with a red wood-and-leather scabbard with brass chape and suspension loop (max. belt width 5 cm), accented with black cord trimmings.
Please note that this sword is not a battle ready weapon. It is designed as a collector's or decoration/display piece and is not suited for combat reenactment. Besides its quality as a collectible, it is also perfectly suited as a prop, e.g. to complete your costume.
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), wooden hilt with brass inserts
- Overall length: approx. 89 cm
- Blade length: approx. 73 cm
- Blade thickness: approx. 4.8 mm / 3.8 mm (cutting edges approx. 1 mm)
- Hilt length: approx. 16 cm (grip approx. 10 cm)
- Max. blade width: approx. 4.8 cm
- Point of balance: approx. 17.5 cm from the guard
- Incl. wooden scabbard with genuine leather cover, brass fittings and cord trim
- Weight without scabbard: approx. 1.1 kg
- Weight with scabbard: approx. 1.4 kg
Specs may slightly vary from piece to piece.
The steel used here is not rust-proof and might show slight surface tarnishing in places. We recommend you to maintain the blade and the scabbard on a regular basis, for example using Ballistol Universal Oil, which is ideally suited for steel care.
We do not sell this product to customers under the age of 18. Please provide your birth date when ordering. We'll also need a copy of your ID-card or passport by email, scan, fax or mail.